It feels like a project that’s been years (dare I say “too many years”) in the making but the long-awaited reboot of the Tomb Raider movie franchise is finally picking up steam!
Back in April, we learnt that Swedish actress Alicia Vikander won the coveted lead role and now it seems we have a release date for the as-yet untitled film: March 16, 2018.
Further details about the cast and synopsis will be no doubt surface as the film nears completion but here’s what we know about the film so far:
- MGM & Warner Bros are co-producing the film with Graham King serving as producer. A summary of the “development hell” this film has gone through can be found over here.
- The film will be directed by Norwegian director Roar Uthuag, whose credits include the 2015 disaster drama The Wave and the 2012 survival tale Escape.
- Alicia Vikander has signed on to play Lara Croft. Vikander is best known for her performance in the 2015 sci-fi thriller Ex Machina and for her Oscar-winning performance in The Danish Girl.
- The film is scheduled to be released on March 16, 2018.
- The script is being written by Geneva Robertson-Dworet, who has worked on Transformers: The Last Knight (2017) and won a place on the 2012 Black List for her screenplay, Hibernation. Writers that were previously attached to this project include Marti Noxon and Evan Daugherty.
- The film isn’t thought to be a simple live-action adaptation of the 2013 game but will take a similar approach in establishing a younger, more relatable Lara Croft.
- During his interview with HeyUGuys in late November 2016, producer Graham King confirmed that the new film will be a “back to the roots story” and that this younger Lara Croft will be searching for her lost (possibly dead) father.
- As of December 2016, actor Walton Goggins was in final negotiations to join the film, where he will play the as yet unnamed villain.
All of the above details were correct at the time of publishing this article (July 10, 2016). Updates and amendments to this list will be highlighted (and dated) for clarity.
Last updated on: December 7, 2016.
- Norwegian Director to Helm ’Tomb Raider’ Reboot Film
- The ‘Tomb Raider’ Movie Franchise Hits the Reboot Button