In June 2015, Crystal Dynamics and Xbox invited a group of Tomb Raider fan site admins to represent the TR fanbase at E3. During their stay in Los Angeles, the ambassadors were treated to some press-only demo footage (i.e. the Syria demo mentioned elsewhere on this site) and got the chance to interview some of the Rise of the Tomb Raider development team to learn more about the upcoming game.
Now that the E3 dust has settled, let’s see what the ambassadors have to say about this highly-anticipated sequel:
- Concept Art & Direction in Rise of the Tomb Raider by Maxime Turpin (Tombeau Croft) - French fan Maxime Turpin interviewed Brian Horton and Brenoch Adams to learn more about the real-life landscapes and art work that helped shape Rise’s visual style and game-play experience.
- Evolving an Icon: Lara Croft 2.0 by Marco (Allgame: Tomb Raider) - Italian fan site admin Marco writes about the multifaceted evolution of Lara Croft from both a narrative and technical perspective. In his interview with Brian Horton, he touches upon Lara’s motivation and personality as well as the technology used to bring Lara to life in the 2013 reboot and Rise.
- Lara Croft - A Modern Adventurer by Jan (WikiRaider) - Representing the German TR fan base, Jan explains why he believes Lara is a perfect representative of the modern-day explorer.
- A Return to Tombs by Rachel (Guns & Grapple) - UK fan site admin Rachel discusses tomb design, ancient spaces, and puzzle-solving with Senior Designer Jeff Wajcs.
- Gear & Upgrades in Rise of the Tomb Raider by Rodrigo Martin Santos (Tomb Raider Collection) - Spanish fan and collector Rodrigo writes about some of the new gear and weapons Lara will have at her disposal in Rise of the Tomb Raider.
- The World as an Enemy in Rise of the Tomb Raider by Bartosz Listewnik (World of Tomb Raider) - Polish fan site admin Bartosz writes about Rise’s crafting system and how the in-game environment will prove to be Lara’s most formidable foe.
- Animation in Rise of the Tomb Raider by Ash (Tomb of Ash) - Representing both the UK and Russian Tomb Raider fanbases, Ash delves into the techniques used to bring Lara Croft to life in her latest adventure.
- The Narrative Design in Rise of the Tomb Raider by Henrique (Lara Croft BR) - Brazilian fan Henrique looks at the narrative design of Rise of the Tomb Raider and how Lara Croft’s character has evolved over the years.
- Tomb Tech: The Visual Effects Technology of Rise of the Tomb Raider by Brandon Klassen (Tomb Raider HQ) - Last but not least, Canadian fansite admin Brandon Klassen takes an in-depth look at the visual effects technology used and developed for Rise.
Note: Some of the ambassadors’ blogs were not available on the official Tomb Raider blog at the time of writing. I will update this article as and when the last few E3 blogs are published, so feel free to check back here at a later date!
- E3 Community Interview with Creative Director Noah Hughes
- Noah Hughes on the Mythology of Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Language Proficiency Will Be Part of Lara’s Skill Set in Rise of the Tomb Raider